Friday, January 06, 2006

BALMY B.C.

Journal Entry
January 3, 2006
Vancouver

The pen is slipping through my fingers as each letter hits the page. My hands are slippery from all the handcream I just rubbed into my hands in an attempt to supple them back up a bit. They certainly aren't dry because of the cold weather. It's downright balmy here in Vancouver, at least by "Canada in January" standards.

No, no my hands are dry for the same reason I sit here sipping a latte and letting my head settle. That balmy weather I spoke of, well I was still outside enjoying it (rock glass of red wine in hand) just mere hours ago at someone's house. I say someone cause I believe 3 of the guys there were the residents of last night's party central.

Last night, I'm happy to say, Steph dragged my lazy ass out to Commercial drive for some live music. It took us an hour and 3 buses to get there from the old folks complex in Richmond, but it was well worth it. We went to a cool little place called RIME where her friend Roey (pr. ROW-E)was performing. He's the singer/bassist for a two man band called "The Idiots". They were the second of two bands we heard last night and they were fantastic. They have this "chillin with a synthesizer" kinda thing happening. Not really sure how else to desribe it.

Our night started off rather slow, despite the bottle of champagne we polished off with dinner, but soon picked up when The Idiots finished their set and we settled up to say good bye. Turns out most people in the packed house last night were friends with The Idiots. Yes, as Steph and I headed for the door she made the brilliant suggestion that we just do one shot of tequila with Roey before we go. Now, I distinctly remember saying to Steph "Sure, but tequila is how you get the party started, not something you do on your way out the door." Sure enough, one shot turned into two more drinks each and some great conversation with the owner/bartender Jim. Turns out it was his 39th birthday. I think you can see where this is going.

Musicians and restaurant owners/employees are not exactly known in my world to wrap the party up at last call. So, we all pitched in for a few bottles of wine from the bar and headed out for a house party. What can I say? There were a fair number of cute (and remarkably straight, this is Vancouver after all) boys headed there so Steph and I thought it was the right thing to do. She's the one who had to work this morning, not me! Of course, I drove her into work so it's not like I escaped the alarm clock all together. The difference is that I will shortly be participating in one of my favourite activites. BRUNCH WITH A FRIEND!! (**Yes Blair I gave Kathleen a big hug and passed on your kisses!!)

Last night was a really great time. It was the perfect mix of great atmosphere, great music, great people and my one very good friend (the food looked good too but we had already eaten) and if you know anything at all about me, you know that's just the kind of atmosphere that makes for a great time in my books!!
------------------------------------------------------

January 6, 2006 (TODAY)

Brunch was great, went to this place called Sophie's in Kitsilano, so cute and amazing food! Kristin Kruek of Smallville fame was a table over, which reminded me that Maestro (Fresh Wes) was on my flight out here, then just yesterday (01/05) as I returned to Kits to see Kat again, we walked right by David Suzuki. All these famous peeps just chillin on the west coast!!

Last couple of days have been filled mostly with errands and a little sleep. Steph's grandma is back form Toronto so we are no longer living the high life in the old folks complex but it's all good! Marilyn is absolutely wonderful and very sweet. Tomorrow we are headed to Whistler for a few days. Steph actually managed to get a 3 day weekend at work so we are up for some good times there I'm sure. So many people to see I can't wait to catch up. I'm gonna stay a day or two after Steph leaves but then it's back to Vancouver for a few more days before I start with the actual trek part of this voyage and try on Seattle for a couple days. After that I'm thinking Portland but as any fellow travellers know plans can always take on new form. Hopefully there are plenty friends to be made in Seattle who feel like heading south. If not I'll make my own way. I do, after all, have an important occasion in LA that I must make...can't wait!!

Stay tuned for more!
M xoxo

1 Comments:

At 2:53 p.m., Blogger mamalove said...

hey mollie mols! here i am posting a comment as promised :D it's nice to hear that you're having such a good time....i am totally jealous as i trek through the snow over here! and go to work 5 days a week! but of course we'll be enjoying the west coast weather when we move out there in a couple of years!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home