Thursday, January 19, 2006

THE WHISTLER CHRONICLES

Okay folks,

So I got all caught up in having some really great times with friends new and old in Whistler and neglected to keep you all updated. I did keep track of things in my journal however, and the following entries should give you a better idea of my ever extending stay in Whistler last week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Journal Entry
January 9, 2006
Whistler, Canada

-MY FIRST NIGHT IN WHISTLER-

Was a messy one! Steph and I arrived at about 9pm on Saturday night. We moved in to Zoe and Danielle's staff accom. room, full riding (snowboarding for you parental types) gear and all. Everyone was feeling pretty low key. The girls having worked all day and Steph and I fresh of the greyhound. We decided, however, that the first night in Whistler (and a Saturday to boot) called for at least a couple drinks at the local's haunt BBK's.
Well now, I'm not exactly sure where things took their turn (I blame Mike our bartender) but before you know it it was 5am and we were kicking people out of staff accom. in order to feign something close to a good night's sleep. Somehow we still thought we'd be up on the mountain the next morning. At this point I'd like to once and for all thank Pip for puking on my shoes, my slumbering best friend and the girls' carpet (that's all I'm saying Pip cause though we cursed you for days afterwards it really is behind us now ;)
Needless to say our plans for a Sunday on the mountain were postponed until the next day, when we could get a good start, in favour of a nice brunch at Ciao Thyme Bistro and a day on the village stroll. Steph and I stayed in the Delta the next night and none of us was up for very much Sunday evening.

------------------------------------------------------

Journal Entry
January 10, 2006
Whistler, Canada

I finally hit the mountain yesterday. First time on a snowboard since Moonstone with Steph and the boys a few years ago. This time it was a day with the girls. Zoe, Danielle and again Steph. Of course this time I was on a certified mountain and not that HILL in Barrie we call Mount St. Louis. When I was here a few summers ago I hiked Whistler mountain but this was my first time on Blackcomb. Yesterday I rode that board on 35 cm of fresh powder, well a couple hours old but the freshest powder I've ever touched! It's been snowing mad amounts since I've been here and seeing as Toronto is looking more like Vancouver right now I feel comfortable saying that I brought the snow. Apparently it's been a few season's since they've seen this kind of a dumping.
What a great day on the mountain. I actually rode my toe edge a bit today. Minor accomplishment to many I know but a major one for me. In all honesty my quads were burning so bad from riding just my heel edge that it was suck it up and try or get off the mountain. Needless to say I'm a little stiff today but it's the good kinda stiff so I'm not stressing it. So when I couldn't make the toe edge work and my quads just couldn't work any more I would simply sit (although it looked like falling a lot of the time) and look out over the clouds that hung just below the mountaintops. It is an amazing view and the perfect way to give my legs a break. If only I wasn't such a novice I would have brought my camera up with me and snapped some pics, but I felt no need to risk my equipment right at the beginning of my trip. I must admit that mountain gazing really is one of my favourite pastimes. I'll be doing a lot of it over the course of this trip but I'm so glad the first was on my home soil. Summer or winter it really doesn't get much more peaceful than standing on a mountain gazing out at the clouds below you.

----------------------------------------------------

Journal Entry
January 10, 2006
Whistler, Canada

Last evening after the mountain play we girls hit up Merlin's for some apres ski fun, and boy is apres fun! Drinks with friends, a couple snacks and that fabulous massaging chair! Of course the practical guarantee of running into friends always kicks the party up a notch and it sure did last night too.
We were at Merlin's doing the apres thing in our snow gear for a few hours before deciding it was high time for a round of showers, so we lugged ourselves and all our gear back up to staff accom. for a soak and some expert hair styling from Steph (she offered to straighten the girls hair and then blow dried mine too...exciting stuff I'm telling you)! We were all pretty wiped but with such fresh hair we couldn't just stay in all night. So, of course, we headed to BBK's...where else? It was a much quieter night then the two previous and I personally was onto the water, feeling no real desire to drink. No real desire, that is until I got caught talking to Rockin' Randy.
Now, we were there after the rush so we missed Rockin' Randy's main show. How can I desribe Randy? To be honest I think he seems like a decent soul who has taken an emotional beating over the years. Some of it clearly self inflicted (like last night when he was stinking drunk) and some probably just bad luck in life, but who really knows? Now, Zoe really wanted to hear some live guitar playing and singing so, when she saw Randy walk back in, she made a request for Wheat Kings by The Tragically Hip. He told us we would have to sing cause he didn't know the lyrics and that request faded as quickly as it surfaced. Randy on the other hand did not. He saw this as his chance to talk to 3 young ladies all night long, Despite any interest we did, oh sorry DID NOT, show in talking to him.
As the night went one Randy simply rotated between Steph, Zoe and myself, cornering each of us in one awkward conversation after another. It's not that his conversations were altogether uninteresting so much as it was the fact that he was 3, no make that 5, sheets to the wind and smelling like it. Most places the conversation went, I would be happy to go with most people, close to me or not, but with Randy it was different...trying really. I can even say that the first couple times I got caught in conversations with Rockin' Randy last night I actually found them mildly amusing and somewhat interesting. By about the 3rd and 4th awkward conversation though I was getting annoyed. I'm not sure if it was because his drunken ass was trying to convince Steph that he could drive her back to Van in the morning, asking her out or attempting to hop on my trip with me but at that point I had just had enough. Unfortunately despite my very strong and clear non-verbal communication Randy just wasn't getting it. It may not be fair but I can't help it, I was trying not to be rude but I get really frustrated with people who have no capacity for understanding the ever important non-verbal communication.
I realize that he was heavily intoxicated but by the 5th awkward conversation my nerves were being tested. I kept my back to him and answered with single words but that had no effect on his attempt to engage me.
Somewhere around awkward conversation #3 a tall, good looking guy walked into the bar. I had seen him earlier at the cold beer and wine shop next door and noticed him again when he walked in and pulled up a stool for a pint at the bar. He noticed me too (we shared a few shy smiles back and forth through awkward Randy conversations #3, 4 and 5) so I was hoping he'd help get me out of Rockin' Randy's conversational clutches.
It wasn't until Randy had moved into the closest proximity to me he'd been all night, during awkward conversation #5, that a seat next to the cute guy opened up. I saw my chance for an escape from Randy but didn't want to be rude, and honestly felt a little awkward about plunking myself down next to this guy I'd been making eyes at for the last while. I hestitated then realized the awkwardness of sitting next to him was nothing compared to continuing this pointless and increasinly irritating conversation with Randy.
Thankfully, it was a highly successful move. I was in that stool for the rest of the night enjoying great conversation with Andy. Then I stayed 5 days longer than planned!


-------------------------------------------------

Journal Entry
January 13, 2006
Whistler, Canada

- SO MUCH SNOW IN WHISTLER -

So here we have made it to Friday and I'm still in Whistler. My original plan was to leave for Seattle today but obviously that's been postponed. I plan on heading back to Van tomorrow but I guess we'll just have to see. Oh how I love having a maleable schedule!
It is absolutely puking snow up here in the mountain. It's been pretty constant for about 3 days now, but last night was particularly heavy. My favourite BBK's bartender, Mike, said he hasn't seen snow like this for at least a couple seasons so I've deicded that I brought it with me. All I know is that Toronto got a lot of snow early in the season this year (before I left) and they're experienceing Vancouver type mildness now, so I must be the bringer of the snow cause it's been spewing the white stuff since I arrived. Let's just hope I pick up the sun and start carrying that with me after Seattle and Portland.
I definately like the lifestyle up here! I can't find a better way to explain it but like summer camp for adults, and we all know how much I loved camp! I think I could live here pretty easily, at least for a couple years or something. Time just seems unimportant here. It's not like it doesn't exist but it's not what matters. I guess that's why I keep saying that I'll leave tomorrow.
Anyway, think I"ll head out by the end of the weekend but for now I have a house party to look forward to. MIke is opening up his pad in Alpine for a night of good partying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home