Friday, January 20, 2006

So Seattle

January 20, 2006

This afternoon I sat in a Starbucks sipping tea, listening to Pearl Jam and reading the Seattle Times. Seemed appropriate!

GUESS WHERE I AM!!

I got into Seattle and got settled yesterday afternoon. I'm staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel and I really like it. It's a super good deal with a great kitchen, free internet and tonight (and 3 nights a week) a free dinner. Can't really go wrong there. They also have this movie deal from Monday to Thursday that I took part in last night. Took it real easy and went to see Glory Road, all about racism and basketball in the 60s America college system. Slightly predictable (true story after all) but well performed. Josh Lucas was fabulous and they certainly tugged at my heart strings!

Anyway, needless to say yesterday was more of a travel day then anything else but I got a good night sleep last night (a little too good actually slept in a few hours later than originally planned) and headed out to check out the Pike Market Place this afternoon. Now, I love the culture of Market places. Little vendors selling their fresh foods or homemade products, jewellery or paintings and other art and Pike Market place did not disappoint. It was hard to resist the many things I saw and liked, or saw and would love to give as a gift, but being on the tight budget that I am I managed okay.
I did however buy a much needed new journal for my writing (leather and so nice) and a Tiger's Eye bead which I made a necklace out. Mom, I got a bad feeling yesterday when the Tiger's Eye ring you sent me broke into a few pieces while I walked down the hallway at the Hostel. Seeing as Tiger's Eye is the semi-precious stone meant to bring safety I saw that as a not so good Omen and felt the need to replace it today. I still have some pieces of the ring but I thought it would be a good idea to start fresh. Luckily as I cruised the marketplace I came across one store after another that was selling semi-precious stones and was able to find this bead for a necklace quite easily and only 54 cents! So, I'm taking that a good omen!

Anyway, it was an easy afternoon. Aside from sleeping longer than planned, I seemed to have slept funny last night and am dealing with a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders so it was a good day to just take it easy and wonder around this downtown Seattle neighbourood that I'm staying in. As I read the sports section this afternoon it came to my attention that my beloved (though struggling and sometimes frustrating) Toronto Raptors are in town to face the Sonics tonight. Game time is in about an hour and a half so I'm going to call the Key Arena and see if I can't get me a seat in the nosebleeds. Seems like a worthwhile splurge to me...what do you think VISA card?? If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to go out and make friends with a bartender somewhere who will take a slight repreive from the NFL playoff madness that has infected Seattle (the seahawks are playing in the conference final today) and let me watch the ball game. I'm hoping that football is over by the time the ball game starts. Fingers crossed I can watch my Raps...fingers double crossed that they can pull off a win!

Anyway, I can smell dinner cooking in the kitchen and I need to check on that ball game so I'm outtie for now. Think I'll add another night (tomorrow night) to my time here in Seattle before I set off for Portland. Tomorrow I play tourist and check out all of Seattle's sites, the Space Needle, a harbour tour and hopefully the EMP (experience music project). They tell me I can know what it feels like to be a rock star and even better pick up a guitar lesson!

Stay tuned for more!

Much love as always!
Mollie Mols xoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home