Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Quotable Ramblings


September 12, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Some days just suck! You know those days? It's not so much that any one horrible thing has occurred to make the day so bad, although sometimes that is also the case, not always. Sometimes it's just a mood thing and we, especially we women during certain weeks in the month, can't always control our moods. Yesterday was one of those days for me. It all actually went by easily and quickly until the end of the day was reached and one person in authority of me made one decision that screwed up my whole night. I'm not gonna expand much cause it's just not worth it. This is not the forum for bitching so much as it is a forum for discussion and sharing. It's one of those hypersensitive mood weeks for me and my plans being ruined just didn't wash off the back the way it sometimes would, or should.

I found myself frustrated last night, nothing was going to be able to fix my plans for the evening and I just had to accept it. Now, if I'm being honest I have to admit that accepting something I'm frustrated with isn't exactly my strong suit, but after dropping my computer on the floor (these are the kinds of things that happen when I'm overly frustrated but it was fine thank god), slamming a couple doors and probably leaving my roommate a little shocked I managed to calm down. Thank god Dave had found some greenery in a random drawer, that did wonders, truly, thanks!!

Frustration is the only emotion that can really take me over and just destroy even the best day. It's something I've been working on for years, and am happy to say I've improved and am improving greatly on, but it is still my weakest point and the one emotion most likely to break me (broken hearts are in a category all their own folks). There's a lot to be said for a little perspective when you're being overcome by the one emotion you can't handle. There are many places you could find perspective. For me it often comes from my friends, sometimes from my family (really depends on the situation there) and most times from a little solitude and admittedly my greenery. A little introspection usually solves things but sometimes that introspection needs a little edging on and when that's the case I like to turn to quotes.

Famous or not, well known writers or anonymous ones. From great thinkers, revolutionaries, athletes or celebrities alike, a good quote can really make you think. It can open your mind to things you may never have realized existed inside your world before. So, on that note, and because I had such a shitty night last night, here are some of my favourite quotes that I've discovered over the years. Many were found as the 2003 (and still current) Iraqi war loomed on the horizon and I needed to channel my anger over the situation into something. It turned it into a hell of a slide show for school and a lot of ranting, raving and realization in my 'idea book', but we all know how much I like poiltics and appreciate those politicos with great things to say and ideas to share.


a great speaker, with many great quotes and one of my heros, one of the world's heros



"Speak your mind, even when your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"A Friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words"
-Anonymous

"I am struck once again by the unutterable beauty, terror and strangeness of everything we think we know" - Ed Abbey

"You give of little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give." - Anonymous

"If you forget where you come from you're never going to get where you're going, because you lost the reality of yourself"
-Ghostface Killah

"You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weather" - OutKast

"I'm old enough to see behind me, but young enough to feel my soul" - Lenny Kravitz

"Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be angels in disguise" - Shakespeare and Co. Bookstore, Paris, France

"If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament" - Germaine Green

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the tastes of the American people" - H.L. Mencken

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Plato

"No other offense has ever been visited with such penalties as seeking to help the oppressed" - Anonymous

"Do what you love, love what you do, and deliver more than you promise" - Harvey McKay

"Friends are not necessary to live. They do, however, make life worth living" - C.S. Lewis

"And I guess one of the great agonies of life is that we are constantly trying to finish that which is unfinishable"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

"I don't know the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone" - Bill Cosby

"Success is a journey not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome" - Arthur Ashe

"You put the happy in my ness, you put the good times into my fun" - Ben Harper

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignorable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." - Albert Einstein

If you know me at all you know exactly who I would direct the final quote to.

Hope everyone is well. I'll try and post another sometime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home