Sunday, January 22, 2006

random seattlites


checking out the scene at jimi's grave about an hour's bus ride outside Seattle

January 21, 2006

Today we visited the grave of Jimi Hendrix. What a solemn place that is. I know most graveyards have that sense about them but this one in particular. It's the Greenwood Memorial Cemetery and it's about an hour outside of Seattle on the local bus system. Now, a few years ago I went to Paris and the grave site of Jim Morrison and while that was expectedly solemn it also had a certain sense of chaos around it. The graveyard was huge and packed full of graves, many famous, many, many more not. Morrison's grave itself really isn't anything all to interesting but the buzz around it is. It seems there is never a point in the day when there aren't people there hanging out, taking pictures, crying. Also, the site is littered with flowers and other momentos from fans. It's a total scene.

Jimi's grave is much different. People are definately there to check it out but not in the droves and not hysterical. People here would casually pull up either by foot or by car and quietly observe the incredibly large monument. There is a sundial off to the left side of the monument and headstones surrounding it. All are still blank but one, for Gracie Hendrix who died just a couple years ago. Jimi's headstone stands in the middle of the monuments 4 main pillars, one bouquet of flowers and one unlit candle sitting atop. On one pillar of the monument are engraved the names of three hendrix family members that, judging by the years, I would assume to be his parents and paternal grandmother. On the outward facing sides of one of the pillars sits Jimi's fabulous autograph. Unlike Morrison's grave it's really all very calm and serene.

Something we found almost equally intriguing was a rather large portion of the graveyard dedicated to what has to be a Chinese family. It's a very asian inspired gazebo type structure surrounded by pools and fountains. In behind and around the gazebo are about 5-6 long rows of headstones. All are blank but two, however a number of the plots have flowers placed by them in memorium. There was no real explanation as to which family or families owned the plots but clearly they had a lot of money and wanted a very beautiful and peaceful resting place for every generation to lay in peace for years to come.

Before and after our trek out to see Jimi we hit up the Pike Street Market. It's Saturday today so it was even more lively than when I visited on my own yesterday. I must say these Seattle fish stand boys are a bunch of cuties for the most part, noen of us girls missed that one. I got a picture with one but it was really more about the giant fish we were holding. I've def never held a fish that big before. I was totally amazed at the lack of stinky fish smell that was in the market even when standing at the fish stand. I think about walking down Spadina or through Kensington back in Toronto and I know how I shudder at the scent of the fish markets. I didn't feel that at all here. Maybe it's the fact that I'm the fish out of water wanting to soak everything up in this foreign land, but more likely I'm guessing it's the freshness of the fish available to buy. Unfortuately I didn't see any tossing of the fish. Wish I could have, that would have been cool for sure.

Met a woman who told me about her platform for state governor elections here. I have no idea when those go down or if she ACTUALLY will make an attepmt to run but I think I can safely say that she won't be winning anytime soon...if ever! Nice enough lady but I'm not entirely convinced she had all her marbles. Thank god I was with others who were able to walk away form what looked like an entraping conversation, and take me with them to the gum wall.

The gum wall is as disgusting as it is impressive. I didn't stick my gum to it, mostly because if I'd touched it I may have puked right there, but Bronwyn, Grace and Tim did. So I just took the pictures!

We also hit up the first ever Starbucks this morning for a coffee and I have to say I quite liked it. It was the only Starbucks I've ever stepped into that wasn't exactly like every other one. It had a beautiful high wooden counter and old school lettering out side. No green anywhere but on the aprons of the employees. Outside a two man, two dog band called "The Dog Squad" played for all the passersby. The dogs of course were really just chillin by the men's feet but the guys sounded great with their guitar and accordian and it made for a great picture. There are a lot of buskers throughout the market. I lov buskers and think they often make great photographs so i guess in a way I've started a photo essay of sorts. I'm hoping I can kee it going throughout the trip but I'm sure at the least I can sustain it through the rest of the States.

Upon our return to the hostel and a bite to eat we found ourselves palying a game of Trivial Persuit - The 80s Edition (and I was doing pretty damn good I might add) with a few of the hostels...shall we say regulars? Ryan and Tony both pretty much live at the hostel it seems. Nice enough but well...no. Let's just leave it at that!

Anyway, it was a fun day soaking up the sites and sounds of the city, not to mention the 2 hours on the bus. If there was any kind of theme to the day though it was random peoples everywhere. Had many a random, interesting, wierd, informative, friendly conversation today. Just the kind of thing I like, for the most part anyway. The rest you just take with the good! Tonight I'm just catching up on emails and turning in early for some quailty time with me myself and my book.

Tomorrow afternoon, after checking out the Experience Music Project, I head out on the greyhound once again, for Portland, Oregon. I hear it's a pretty cool place. Smaller than Seattle but cool. I actually really like Seattle and could totally stay here longer but I think the course is dictating that I leave and I want to follow that course. Also, this Aussie guy, Mike, who was on my bus down from Vancouver, and staying in the same hostel as me now, is headed down tomorrow so this way I have a travel buddy for Portland. He's going to San Fransico too so maybe we'll be travel partners for a bit. Who knows? That's just the thrill, terror and beauty of life on the road.

Until Portland my darlings!
xoxo

1 Comments:

At 9:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on Molly!

Keep the dream alive hon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home